The Journey of Tata eFee
- It all started in 2008. After an intensive feedback from over 100 customers across India, Tata Metaliks Limited (TML) realized that it had to take some quick steps towards reduction of energy consumption in pig iron foundries of India
- Being world’s largest producer of foundry grade pig iron, the foundries looked up to TML for solving
one of their biggest challenges in recent times – Energy Consumption
- TML decided to take up this challenge and thus started the journey of Tata eFee, world’s first branded pig iron
Results of The Research & Introduction of Tata eFee
- Improving melt rate of ingots was found to be the key to reduce energy consumption in foundries and uniform void distribution & packing density were identified as important parameters to improve melt rate. Optimum void distribution and packing density were arrived at for highest melt rate
- An optimum ingot design was arrived at, which would offer optimum void distribution in cupola furnace and optimum packing density in induction furnace
Tata eFee resulted in 7-8 % energy savings with 11-18 % improved melt rate in Cupola furnace. and 1-7% energy savings with 1-8 % improved melt rate in Induction furnace.
Design Attributes of DI Pipe – Environmental Focus
According to the World Health Organization, due to the multitude of health concerns, Lead joints should be avoided. Ductile Iron pipes have been used to replace Lead Joint, Cast Iron pipes. Ductile Iron pipes are more durable and last much longer than steel, cast iron, and PVC pipes.
- Ductile iron pipes are natural, safe, and sustainable.
- Ductile iron pipes are 100 % recyclable.
- Ductile iron pipe requires less energy and has a lower environmental impact.
- Increased flow capacity requires less energy, thereby creating significant energy savings over the pipe’s lifetime of service.
- Ductile iron pipe has a better environmental performance due to lower greenhouse gas emissions in both the production and operation phases.
- Ductile iron pipe is comprised of natural materials and does not contain or release dangerous chemicals.
The unique practice during manufacturing of ductile iron pipe to reduce the pumping cost during the line is in charging condition. Internal grinding of cement mortar lining for smooth and uniform thickness of the pipe’s internal lining. Increases the C-value and reduces the friction loss during water flow resulting in less power consumption. The Lining is made as smooth as possible. This causes a reduction of head loss due to friction during the pumping of water through the pipes